Wednesday 3 July 2013

London/Whitstable/Brighton













Since my friend Ale had to work for a couple days during my visit, I spent the days wandering around London. I went to Oxford street and scoped out most of the stores.
Also met up with my buddy Simon for dinner and a few drinks where he then gave me his spare keys to his apartment. He was going out of town on a bachelor party for a few days and offered me his place to crash at. Also was a way for me to house sit his place while he was gone.
When the weekend rolled around and Ale had time off, I took him to Borough Market. He had never been there before. Couldn't believe it! Such good food there. I figured with him being Italian, he'd enjoy the cuisine.
He was a little shy about trying the free samples, but after my encouragement and me gorging myself on them, he finally gave in. It was great to see him let loose and gain more enthusiasm with each passing stand. Good times!

We walked along the Thames river, people watching. Had some street musician buskers to watch as well as a guy making bubbles for the kids to play with. A lovely day roaming around looking at the sights. Our second day together was more low key and hung out in his neighbourhood.

After that, we said farewell and I headed over to Simon's place near New Cross station. Felt weird staying in his home without him there. But, I adapted well. As I do!
Over the few days there, I checked out his neighbourhood. Got a haircut since every 3rd shop was a barber or hair salon. Yes, I believe it was the African quarter of London, ha ha. Great place though.
I went to the Camden Market. Some food here, but mostly shops with clothes and gadgets. There was a cool rave store called Cyberdog. Had all kinds of glow stuff, black light responsive clothes, hair dyes, crazy jewelry and strange costumes/attire and even in the basement a pole dancer and sex shop. Yes, you read that right... wow right!? Interesting place!
Most of the stores had very decorative facades as well. Giant shoes, Elvis Presley, a pair of legs with gothic style pants, pop out words, etc. Very animated. Huge and maze like! Took me a while to navigate around.
Actually, it was once horse stables. The Camden horse stables. It had become such a popular place along the train line, that eventually it became a market. Many statues of horses decorated the place in remembrance of that.
It also had many Chinese food stands where the people have a piece of chicken on a fork and they shove it in your face saying "Try, try, try!" (Try not to walk to close to their counters... you may get chicken in your eye!) Really funny. A tactic that seems to work however. People taste it, like it, then will buy a dish.
The ground was either hardwood flooring or cobbled stone pathways. Really cool. Many jewelry stores, hat shops (the English and their funny hats... ha ha), purses and luggage, lights, phone accessories, arts and crafts, etc. Wonderful place.
After that, I took the bus to "Little Venice." It was a park with a canal and a few bridges here and there. Lots of long boats parked along the canal. Pretty spot.
Also had a day when I visited Piccadilly Circus. Walked around looking at shops and making my way to Trafalgar Square where a stage was set up with musicians playing. West End Live it was called. Not sure what the occasion was, but it was entertaining. Walked back to the Parliament buildings and Big Ben. Funny that after being in England for so long, now that I have tourists all around me in this area, they drive me nuts when they keep stopping at a dead stop right in front of me to take pictures. I hope I wasn't like that :(






Once Simon returned, we had a nice day out in Greenwich. He showed me the area he'd like one day to buy a house and then we walked around the park. Always fun to do with him with his phobia of pigeons. There are a ton there. For dinner, I made him some burritos. I was glad they turned out well.
I left Simon to rest from his busy past week and went to my cousin's place.
Elizabeth and Rodger lived in Plumstead, a lovely home with a wild garden in the back yard. Always so relaxing when I'm there. And I have an amazing huge room all too myself! They spoil me!

They took me sightseeing in Bexley at Hall Place, a beautiful Tudor house with fantastic gardens. Beautiful flowers, impressive topiary (sculpted shrubs) with many shapes like dragons or horses, and the striking contrast of the 16th century stone work built beside the 17th century red brick. Lovely!
Another day trip we did was to Rochester in Kent. We made our way down High street checking out the shops and aged architecture. One of Elizabeth's friends met us there and we visited the Guildhall museum. There was a replica of a medway prison hulk and crafts from the Napoleonic prisoners. I always love seeing what it is they make out of the few materials they get their hands on. When all you've got is time... you sure can make extraordinary art.
However, my favourite was the old vendor for the loo. A slot where on would place a penny in order to use the loo. The origin of the saying "Spending a penny." I remember my grandpa saying that. Cool to learn where it came from!
After that, we walked around the outside of Rochester Castle, made our way to the Rochester cathedral and took a look inside there before ending our tour with the Restoration House and Gardens. Charles Dickens (a famous author) was quite taken with this historic town and based many of his books in Rochester. Especially the Restoration House that was in "Great Expectations."
The Elizabethan Mansion, Restoration House, had all kinds of artwork, portraits and furniture dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries. An impressive collection indeed and well worth a visit. It is named from when Charles II came to England after being exiled in France and was to be restored to the throne. He spent a night at the house on the eve of his restoration in 1660 so it was named after him.
The gardens in the back were nice as well, especially with the pond.

Seeing how I only had a few days left in England before my holiday visa expired and I had to leave the country, I made sure to get a last visit in with my client (and family) from Northchurch whom I adored. I took the train out to meet them and she and her ex-husband picked me up for a day trip to the Whipsnade Zoo. It was a fabulous day! The zoo had a safari drive. So we could drive around the entire park and see all the grazing animals out in great pastures. I loved the white rhinos, especially the baby! So nice to see the animals with lots of space to roam around.
The drive through the area with the monkeys was optional. Warning signs of their mischievousness upon entry. Seems they have a tendency to pull windshield wipers off vehicles. And they throw objects at your car too. Of course, I found it hilarious... since it wasn't our car :)
The next day, Elizabeth, Rodger and I went out to their beach hut in Whitstable and I finally got to meet her son Lewis. His wife and baby were there as well and we had a fantastic picnic. I'm extremely lucky to have such a loving family. First time meeting new cousins, and it was like we've always known each other. We got along splendidly. 
We played on the beach, walked along the waterfront, enjoyed ice cream, people watched, listened to a band play and checked out the bazaar. Fantastic day!








I also took the train on a day trip to Brighton on the south coast. Nice little town, many tourist shops along the waterfront. One in particular I really liked was an artists gallery. He had some great paintings of lush green forests with rays of sunlight streaming through thick tree canopy and a little fox near a mossy log. Beautiful. I bought a little card since I couldn't afford the paintings for a trinket.
I walked along the Brighton pier to get a nice view of the pebbly beach and Ferris wheel. And the pier had a fantastic view. Many places to eat, tourist shops in arcade halls and a funfair. I managed to find a few decorative beach items for Elizabeth to put in her beach hut.
I then roamed around town, checking out the market and quirky shops as well as the clock tower.
The Royal Pavilion was really cool. Built in the 19th century in an Indo-Islamic sort of style. Beautiful architecture there. I can see why Brighton is the most popular seaside spot in the UK for overseas tourists.
My last 2 days here I spent with my cousins and had a last night out with Simon. Now, I'm on the move again and am heading to the Megabus bus station to cross the channel to make my way to Paris, France. Time for some history lessons!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment